Below is the best evidence for both sides of the debate. We can hear directly from the owners of the treasures and their wishes. Please scroll down to the highlighted numbered points below.
The clear points from the above are:
- The Oba of Benin has given full responsibility for retrieving the treasures to Britain and to no one else.
- Anyone wishing to help should consult with the British government.
- Anyone wishing to return a Benin treasure in their possession should consult with the British government.
- Any treasure item to be returned must be accompanied by monetary compensation to cover the years it was denied to the owners and the Benin people. This is only fair.
- If you have returned one and have not paid any monetary compensation, consider doing so.